Toddler spends 19 days in hospital with kidney failure after eating bird poo

An 18-month-old boy contracted e.coli and suffered kidney failure after he ate seagull droppings while out playing in the garden.

Jaydon Pritchard's ordeal began on Tuesday, April 6, when Jaydon was taken to see a doctor because he didn't feel very well.

The doc told grandfather Arwel, who looks after Jaydon along with his wife, Christine, and their daughter, Tiffany, the toddler was suffering from a virus and discharged him.

Mr Pritchard said the boy "didn't do anything apart from sleep and be sick" until he began to have fits and the family were forced to call an ambulance straight away.

He told NorthWales Live: "He had another fit before the ambulance arrived and another three fits on the way to the hospital. It was like he was looking through you. He didn't recognise anyone.

"There was a point where we really thought we were going to lose him. It was horrific."

Jaydon was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd Hospital where a team from Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool picked up the toddler.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Within hours, the little boy was hooked up to a dialysis machine and received a total of three blood transfusions during his 19-day stay at the children's hospital.

Mr Pritchard said Jaydon was diagnosed with kidney failure and doctors told the family he had also been battling e-coli poisoning after he ate seagull poo.

The worried grandfather said: "We were fearing the worst at the time, seeing his little body hooked up to the dialysis machine and his face turned yellow."

  • Tragic dad and daughter swept to their deaths from harbour wall by 'savage' sea

Jaydon still faces a number of visits to Ysbyty Gwynedd over the coming weeks before a final visit to Alder Hey, but he is said to be doing much better than a few weeks ago.

The incident has made grandmother Christine "apprehensive" about leaving him in the garden again due to the "constant mess."

She said: "I clean the patio every day, but it's difficult because the seagulls are nesting nearby and it's a constant mess to clean up," she said.

"Poor Jaydon is on all sorts of medications now, we just hope that he's not suffered any permanent issues. He's still not himself, he's still quite grey, but he's getting there slowly.

"Young children are constantly putting things in their mouth and we hope that this ordeal can serve as reminder for parents and guardians to make sure that their children are playing in a safe environment, particularly when they're outside."

Source: Read Full Article