Home » World News » Six members of Royal Family who get full-time protection after Harry’s withdrawn
Six members of Royal Family who get full-time protection after Harry’s withdrawn
March 11, 2021
Only a handful of Royal Family members are offered round the clock protection – but Prince Harry "never thought" his would be removed after Megxit.
During their interview with Oprah Winfrey, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said they were not offered a security detail for their son Archie due to his lack of a title.
However, the Daily Telegraph earlier reported that protection was only withdrawn after they had stepped back as working royals.
Harry added: "I never thought that I would have my security removed because I was born into this position.
"I inherited the risk. So that was a shock to me. That was what completely changed the whole plan."
However, various members of the Royal Family are not offered round the clock protection, the MailOnline reports.
Only six – the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Camilla, Prince William and Kate Middleton – enjoy the privilege.
Princess Anne, Prince Edward and Sophie, Countess of Wessex, are only protected during official duties and engagements.
Anne decided not to give any titles to her children, Zara Tindall and Peter Phillips.
Prince William says royals are not ‘racist’ as he responds to Meghan's Oprah interview
As such, they do not receive state-funded protection.
Royals like Princess Beatrice and Eugenie also cannot rely on security services.
In January 2020, the Home Office recommended a downgrading of security for their dad Prince Andrew after he withdrew from public duties.
However, the Queen later stepped in to maintain it with her own private funds, The Sun reported.
Brit toddler, two, drowns in swimming pool at Algarve holiday resort
Buckingham Palace does not comment on security matters.
Simon Morgan, a former royal protection officer, argues there are also issues with offering protecting police protection in the US.
He told the MailOnline: "They are no longer working members of the British Royal Family, they now live in America, which deals with a different set of legislation with regards to you operating as a UK police officer.
Kate Middleton breaks cover after Meghan Markle told Oprah she’d made her cry
"You also have to consider the welfare of those police officers – ultimately they are London-based.
"While you accept you will be away from home in the UK or overseas on a royal tour, you certainly don't expect to be posted permanently away from home."
The Daily Star has approached Harry and Meghan's spokesman for comment.
Meghan and Harry levelled a range of dramatic allegations against theRoyal Familyduring the interview.
In it, Meghan claimed that she was refused help afterrevealing she had been suffering from suicidal thoughts and said a royal had expressed concerns about how dark Archie's skin would be.
Harryalso claimed that he andMeghanhad been financially cut off in the first quarter of 2020.
When pressed on his relationship with his dad, he said thatthe Prince of Wales had stopped taking his callsafter Megxit.
Get latest news headlines delivered free
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
After days of silence, the Queen released a short statement in response reading: "The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning.
"While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.
"Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much-loved family members."