Queen’s sympathies to family of Prince Harry’s fellow army man who took own life

The Queen has sent a letter expressing her sympathies to a family battling to get their war hero son's name added to the Armed Forces Memorial after he took his own life.

Nathan's father Derek, 70, said he was touched to receive the letter from Her Majesty, in which said she hoped the couple “find the strength to sustain you at this difficult time”.

However the letter added that the Queen could not get involved in politics, reports The Mirror.

Nathan Hunt, who served in Afghanistan and alongside the Queen's grandson Prince Harry in 2008, killed himself in January 2018, aged 38.

During a six-month tour, Nathan cleared Taliban bombs and was praised for saving several comrades, including Harry.

Nathan was as serving Royal Engineers warrant officer at the time of his death, but defence chiefs refused to add his name to the memorial after ruling his death was probably not linked to his 23 years of military service.

Three other soldiers who took their own lives after serving in Afghanistan have been honoured on the Staffordshire memorial.

  • Russian invasion of Ukraine 'at 3am tomorrow' with missile and tank attack – US source

Derek yesterday shared the letter with the Sunday People and said: “I think that the Queen would like to help but her hands have been tied.”

Derek, an ex-soldier, and his wife Maria, 68, from Lincoln, had turned to Her Majesty in their latest bid to have their son’s name added to the Armed Forces Memorial at the National Arboretum.

  • Terrifying armed 'robot dogs' to patrol US-Mexico border in police RoboCop clampdown

Last year, Derek and Maria wrote to Harry who ­replied expressing his dismay at not being able to help, having lost his military titles.

The recent letter sent to Derek and Maria from a royal aide said: “The Queen hopes you and your wife will continue to find the strength to sustain you at this difficult time.”

Derek said: “I firmly believe Nathan took his own life because of the traumas he ­suffered in Afghanistan. He was mentally wounded. He was a casualty of war and should be recognised as such.”

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

A report produced after Nathan died said he had experienced “traumatic exposure” in Afghanistan and had “elements of PTSD”.

The Ministry of Defence said: “Careful consideration is given to each case and the decision not to include WO Hunt’s name on the Armed Forces Memorial does not detract from his service in the Army.”

If you or someone you know is struggling and needs to talk, call the free Samaritans helpline 24/7 on 116 123. You can also email [email protected] or find your local branch online.

Source: Read Full Article