Puppy found with two broken legs after owner buried him alive in bin bag

A nine-week-old Pomeranian puppy called Spencer was buried alive by his owner and was only discovered because another dog sniffed him out.

Spencer was found in a terrible state on April 27, 2019 by a couple who were walking their dog in Worden Park, Leyland when they found the puppy wrapped in a ripped bin bag, with very serious injuries.

The RSPCA rushed Spencer to the charity's animal hospital in Salford for urgent treatment where vets discovered the puppy had two broken legs, from separate incidents, and was suffering from nerve damage.

After two days of trying to help Spencer get better the difficult decision was made to put him to sleep to prevent any further suffering, reports the MEN.

RSPCA inspector Alison Fletcher, who investigated the incident said the ground chosen to bury Spencer was "very much hidden away" and it was "extremely lucky" he was found.

"A shallow hole was present with straight edging which gave thought to the fact that this may have been done with a tool rather than scraped by hand," she revealed.

Around a week after Spencer had been found, Inspector Fletcher visited the Vets4Pets surgery in Leyland where one of the vets told her the pictures of the puppy in an appeal looked a lot like a dog the practice had recently treated.

The owner of the puppy seen by the surgery, who was later revealed to be 45-year-old Inga Ozola, had told them the dog had now been re-homed.

The pup hurt his leg whilst playing with his siblings, and he was taken to Vets4Pets on April 8, aged seven-weeks-old.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

An x-ray showed Spencer had broken his rear right tibia and he was given pain relief and confined to a cage to let his leg heal.

At a follow-up appointment on April 23, another x-ray showed Spencer's fracture had been displaced, and Ozola was told she could either have the break repaired for £2,000, have the leg amputated, or the dog could be put down.

A trial at Preston Magistrates’ Court heard Ozola returned home with Spencer to consider her options, where she applied for financial assistance to help with the costs – but was ineligible.

CCTV footage shown to the court showed Ozola walking towards the area where Spencer was found on the morning of April 27, before returning home half an hour later.

When asked what was in the backpack, Ozola told officers it was a bottle of water.

At court Ozola, of Seven Stars Road, Leyland, was found guilty of two charges of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

She was sentenced to 18 weeks imprisonment, suspended for 18 months, banned from keeping any animal for 18 months, and ordered to pay £2,000 in costs.

Ozola will also need to complete 120 hours of unpaid work, and ten rehabilitation activity requirement days.

The judge also ordered her to give up her two pet dogs, who will have their ownership transferred to an appropriate person.

Inspector Fletcher added: “This was a tragic case in which a young puppy suffered, by not receiving the vet treatment he needed for his injuries and then by being subjected to being buried alive.

"This case had a profound and lasting effect on all those involved from the members of the public who found Spencer, myself and my fellow officers involved in investigating and the RSPCA vets and staff.”

Source: Read Full Article