A pregnant woman and her unborn baby were among six victims slaughtered in a mass shooting.
Authorities believe the carnage in Indianapolis, US was a targeted incident carried out by "multiple" gunmen.
A boy was also shot during the attack in the early hours of Sunday, but survived.
Police reportedly discovered the mass shooting after they found the boy suffering from gunshot wounds at around 4am.
Further investigation led them to a nearby property where they discovered the bodies of multiple victims who had been killed.
The boy is believed to be the only survivor from the shooting.
No motive or suspect information has been released yet.
The city’s mayor Joe Hogsett described the attack in the Indiana city as "an act of depravity” that has “become all too common across the country”, the Indianapolis Star reports.
He said: “This morning, one of more individuals perpetrated an act of evil in our city.
"What happened this morning was not a simple act of gun violence.
“What happened this morning was a mass murder."
Police Chief Randal Taylor said it was the largest largest mass casualty shooting in the city in more than a decade.
He said investigators currently believe it was a targeted incident.
There may have been multiple shooters involved, he added.
He added: “I’m angry that the perpetrators felt they had the right to commit this senseless act in our community.
“It has to stop. Our community doesn’t deserve this.”
The attack was one of five shootings which took place across the city within just five hours.
At least seven people were also taken to hospital for treatment from the other incidents, officials said.
The slaughter comes weeks after the city ended the most violent year in its history.
Police figures show there were 215 criminal homicide victims last year – the most recorded in a single year.
A further 30 non-criminal homicides, where the killing was considered justified for a reason such as self-defence, were reported.
Source: Read Full Article