Plots to kill Royal Family include chilling ISIS threat to murder Prince George

The British Royal Family has been a target of numerous "assassination attempts" – from "shots fired" at Prince Charles, to the infamous attempt to kidnap Princess Anne.

Although the royals are never without bodyguards and a whole team of security, there have been a few times in history where they became a target of murderous schemes – albeit unsuccessful.

In the last few years, there have been reports of plans to attack the Royal Family, including ISIS' threats against Prince George.

More recently, an attempt that had been kept secret for years was a shocking assassination plot to kill the Queen in 1970.

Here we look at "assassination plots" and "attempts to kill" the Royal Family over the years.

2017: ISIS threaten to kill Prince George

In 2017, Brits were left outraged after the terrorist group sent threats to kill Prince George, who was just four-years-old at the time.

The organisation sent an encrypted message through the Telegram app, with a picture of the young prince next to his school Thomas's Battersea, with its address and a caption that said “school starts early”.

The message warned: “Even the royal family will not be left alone.”

Social media users voiced their anger online at the time.

Milica Delrey said: “I hope Prince George is safe and sound, he is just a little child, damn.”

Stephen Curl said: “A plot to kill any child is evil”.

Alex Bus wrote on Twitter: “Some twisted people about. Wanting to murder a child.

“I pray and hope nothing that sickening ever happens to our Prince George.”

1994: 'Shots fired' at Prince Charles

During a speech on Australia Day on January 26, 1994 – two blank shots were fired at Prince Charles.

The shots were fired as a protest against the treatment of several hundred Cambodian asylum seekers held in detention camps in Australia.

Running towards the prince, the assailant, David Kang, fired his first shot before Prince Charles's bodyguard stepped in front of him.

The 23-year-old assailant was then wrestled to the ground by his security team.

Despite the terror caused by it, the incident was said to be more of a political demonstration rather than an attempt to kill.

  • Princess Charlotte must follow odd rules under strict ‘no nonsense’ nanny

1981: 'Shots fired' at Queen Elizabeth II

A second assassination attempt took place in 1981 when a teenager tried to shoot Queen Elizabeth.

Christopher John Lewis, then 17, joined crowds to watch the monarch pass through during a diplomatic trip to New Zealand.

Armed with a .22 caliber rifle, he shot at Queen Elizabeth as she stepped out of her Rolls Royce in Dunedin on the south coast.

The bullet flew past her head and the parade continued, with the crowd unaware of what had just happened.

Lewis was charged with possessing a firearm and discharging it in a public place.

He said at the time: “I felt that giving her a scare somehow, that the issues and problems that were evident in New Zealand might be finally brought into the public attention and as a bonus if the Queen would look at these issues – she might well take notice.”

He was sentenced to three years in prison and later reportedly sent on a taxpayer-funded holiday to Australia.

At the age of 31, he mapped out the route of the Queen’s next visit in 1995 before police intervened.

In 1997, while awaiting trial for killing a woman and kidnapping her child, Lewis took his own life.

  • The 49 details Meghan Markle is accused of feeding into Finding Freedom via pals

1974: Princess Anne kidnapping attempt

The infamous kidnapping incident took place on March 20 1974,

when Princess Anne was returning to Buckingham Palace from a charity event.

Accompanied by her then-husband Mark Phillips, the couple were confronted by armed men on The Mall in London.

The Queen's daughter was in the car when another car blocked their vehicle, and Ian Ball stepped out with a gun.

Ball, who was trying to kidnap Anne and planned to ask for a £2million ransom, told the royal to get out the car – but she bravely replied "not bloody likely," reports Mirror Online.

During an interview with Michael Parkinson, Princess Anne spoke of the incident and said: "We had a fairly lowkey discussion about the fact that I wasn't going to go anywhere, and wouldn't it be much better if he went away and we all forgot about it."

Protection officer Jim Beaton also spoke about his memories of the day during the documentary.

He said: "There were a couple of short cracks so I took my pistol lifted it up and fired it in his direction but nothing happened, it obviously had jammed.

"I manage to get in the car and there was Ball with his gun, so I just stuck my hand in front of it.

"He fired, and it went through the window and into my hand."

Princess Anne's personal police officer James Beaton and her chauffeur Alex Callender were both shot during the ordeal.

Thankfully, another witness who was walking past the scene at the time and punched Ball in the head twice – finally bringing the incident to an end.

  • Queen came up with plan to protect Prince Philip from Harry and Meghan 'shenanigans'

1970: Assassination attempt on Queen Elizabeth II

The Lithgow Plot was kept a secret for 38 years before the media found out about the attempt to kill the Queen.

On April 29, 1970, while the Queen and Prince Philip were on a royal tour in Australia on a train going from Sydney to Orange, the would-be assassins attempted to derail the train.

According to reports, they had wedged a large wooden log on to the tracks.

If the train had hit it at a high speed, it would have rolled onto the embankment.

However, luckily it had been travelling at an "unusually" slow speed and merely halted.

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were unaware of the incident, and the media was only told of it in 2009.

Retired Detective Superintendent Cliff McHardy revealed the plot in an interview nearly 40 years later.

He said: "If the train had reached its normal speed it would have plunged off the tracks and into an embankment."

Source: Read Full Article