Nottingham’s day of terror – on the ground as city asks ‘how could this happen?’

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    A day of terror in Nottingham has seen three people killed and pedestrians mowed down by a van in connected attacks.

    University of Nottingham student Barnaby Webber, 19, was slain as he walked home from a nightclub with another unnamed victim.

    A man in his 50s was also killed, while another is fighting for his life in hospital. A 31-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

    READ MORE: Nottingham rampage victims were students 'who got unlucky' walking home from club

    Daily Star reporter Abigail Hunt was on the ground on the day that has shocked a city…

    'How could this happen?'

    "How could this have happened to our city?" was the overriding question of the Nottingham community after learning three of its own were found dead on the city's streets on Tuesday morning.

    Panic and chaos filled the city after reports of a man in a van running down pedestrians and stabbing innocent victims in the street.

    ‌As I entered the city centre at 11am it was clear just how serious of an incident it was, looking like a scene from BBC One's Bodyguard, with passers-by desperately questioning police whether there was still an active threat.

    And although the very heavy police presence in the hours following the attack seemed to have calmed down members of the public, the horror and shock of what unfolded is still rife among city people.

    To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.

    A bus driver on his way to work at 5.45am on Tuesday morning said he saw part of what unfolded.

    "Coming to work this morning at about 5.45am opposite the McDonald's on Milton Street there was a man lying down with some medics giving his treatment," the bus driver, who wished to remain anonymous, told the Daily Star.

    "Minutes later about 30 or 40 police cars all turned up. That's all I saw."

    One resident, Jayson Darling, was horrified to learn three people had tragically lost their lives.

    Speaking by a cordon in the city, Jayson told me: "I've heard that a person was driving around in a van and ran over pedestrians."

    Caitlin Mercer, a Nottingham city centre resident, said the incident "really brought home that this can happen to anyone".

    "It's definitely an example of 'how could this have happened to our city?' You never think that this sort of thing is going to happen where you live," said Caitlin.

    "It really has shocked everyone and I just hope that things are put in place to stop such a big incident like this happening again. How could this have happened?"

    While at the scene I also saw a helicopter circling the city before midday after the 31-year-old male suspect was arrested on suspicion of murder, but police refused to comment any further.

    Police revealed later on that they had an "open mind" over the motive of the attack but said they believe there is no one else outstanding in connection with the incidents.

    Police were called to Ilkeston Road at 4am after two people, later confirmed to be 19-year-old University of Nottingham students, were killed.

    Officers were then called to another incident in Milton Street where a van had attempted to run over three people.

    One man is in hospital in a critical condition while two others are believed to have suffered minor injuries.

    A man in his 50s was also found dead in Magdala Road shortly afterwards.

    • Police

    Source: Read Full Article