Home » World News » Meghan ‘demands to see evidence’ of bullying allegations made by royal staff
Meghan ‘demands to see evidence’ of bullying allegations made by royal staff
March 14, 2021
Meghan Markle has allegedly requested to see evidence linking her to accusations of bullying royal staff, it has been reported.
It was alleged that Meghan "drove two personal assistants out of the household and was undermining the confidence of a third member of staff," by former communications secretary Jason Knauf.
The Duchess of Sussex, 39, is believed to have requested emails, documents and texts involved in the investigation from Buckingham Palace after she was alleged to have bullied current and former aides.
A senior palace source told the Mail on Sunday she had written to the Palace, describing it as a "clear indication that the duchess is preparing to fight back".
The Queen is understood to have left Prince Harry's dad Charles to deal with the demand, with close aides said to be trawling through files to meet her request, the paper reports.
Two senior members of staff claim the former actress, who married Harry in 2018, bullied them, while a third accused Meghan of "humiliating" them, sparking an immediate independent internal inquiry.
The request comes just a week after Harry and Meghan's bombshell interview with US chat show icon Oprah Winfrey, in which they revealed the reasons why they quit royal duties in January last year.
Prince Charles 'deeply hurt' by Harry and Meghan interview 'but plans to mend rift'
During the two-hour TV special, Meghan also claimed racism within the Royal Family and intense media scrutiny had left her suicidal.
The couple claimed a Royal Family member had expressed "concerns" over "how dark" their son's skin might be.
Oprah revealed afterwards that Harry had stressed: "It was not his grandmother or grandfather who were part of those conversations."
Responding to the bullying claims, a spokesman for the Sussexes previously said the couple have been the victims of a "calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation".
Meghan blogged about Kate's wedding despite claiming she 'didn't know much about royals'
The bullying complaint reportedly claimed Meghan "drove two personal assistants out of the household and was undermining the confidence of a third staff member," according to The Times.
Her alleged behaviour is said to have led to members of staff quitting their jobs – with other members of staff saying they were often left "terrified" amid disagreements in the royal household.
Meghan – who is currently expecting her second child – hit back at the claims and accused royals of "perpetuating falsehoods".
A spokesperson for the Duchess of Sussex has said of the bullying claims: "The duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma.
"She is determined to continue her work building compassion around the world and will keep striving to set an example for doing what is right and doing what is good."
The complaint was allegedly submitted in October 2018 by Jason Knauf, then the couple’s communications secretary.
It is alleged Harry personally intervened and "pleaded with Knauf not to pursue it", a source told The Times. A spokesman for the couple said Harry would not interfere in staff matters.
The Daily Star has approached a spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for comment.