Home » World News » Meghan and Harry ‘were happy for Archie to have no title’, journalist claims
Meghan and Harry ‘were happy for Archie to have no title’, journalist claims
March 15, 2021
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were “very happy” for Archie to not have a title, a royal expert has suggested.
The Duchess of Sussex told Oprah Winfrey in her bombshell interview last week that the Royal Family didn’t want her firstborn to be a prince because it “would be different from protocol”.
She claimed the decision was “really hard” and said the lack of a title “affected the protection” that Archie would receive.
“This went on for the last few months of our pregnancy where I’m going, 'Hold on a second, how does that work? … If he’s not gonna be a prince, he needs to be safe’,” Meghan claimed.
But Sunday Times royal correspondent Roya Nikkhah has now claimed the couple were perfectly happy with the one-year-old being referred to simply as “master”.
“I was told when Harry and Meghan announced their pregnancy in Australia in 2018 that they did not want the Queen to vary the rules to make Archie a prince,” she said on ITV documentary, Harry and Meghan: The Week that Shook the Royals.
“They were very happy for him not to have a title.
“They wanted him to be unencumbered by the restrictions that come with titles.
“That story was borne out because when he was born, the statement that came with it that he would be styled as ‘Master Archie’.
“That was what the couple wanted at the time.”
Meghan and Harry were allowed to give Archie the courtesy title of Earl of Dumbarton when he was born, as it was one of his dad’s lesser titles.
Instead, the couple reportedly opted to call him Master Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.
Constitutional rules, created by King George V in 1917, means Archie would not receive the prince title until Prince Charles takes the throne.
Elsewhere in the documentary, TV presenter Trisha Goddard said Meghan was seen as "America's princess" but "not good enough for the Royal Family.
Following Meghan’s allegations of racism made to Archie by a member of the Royal Family, Buckingham Palace issued a 61-word statement.
It read: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.
“Harry, Meghan, and Archie will always be much-loved family members.”
Harry and Meghan: The Week that Shook the Royals is available to watch on ITV Hub now.