Home » World News » Man, 88, with WW1 shell shoved up his bum sparks bomb squad arrival at hospital
Man, 88, with WW1 shell shoved up his bum sparks bomb squad arrival at hospital
December 15, 2023
A man caused a stir at a hospital after medical staff discovered a World War One bomb in his anus.
The bloke, 88, attended an Accident and Emergency centre in Toulon, France, where doctors realised he had the shell lodged in his rectum. The Sainte-Musse Hospital's neighbouring departments, including the children's ward, were temporarily evacuated after the discovery was made.
One employee said the discovery was a first for workers at the medical centre. "An apple, a mango or even a can of shaving foam – we are used to finding unusual objects inserted where they shouldn't be," they told local news outlet VAR-Matin at the time. "But a shell? Never!"
READ MORE: Missing British boy Alex Batty who disappeared in France six years ago is finally found
For more of the latest news from the Daily Star, click here.
Hospital management confirmed there had been "an emergency that occurred from 9pm to 11:30pm on Saturday evening that required the intervention of bomb disposal personnel, the evacuation of adult and paediatric emergencies as well as the diversion of incoming emergencies."
Hospital administrator Yann Le Bras said: "We had to manage the risk in a reactive framework. When in doubt, we took all the precautions."
Another hospital source said the gynaecology and maternity wards were able to carry on business as usual during the unusual "bomb threat." However, the rest of the hospital was shut down while the emergency was taken care of.
Join the Daily Star's WhatsApp for the sexiest headlines, showbiz gossip and lots more
The Daily Star is now on WhatsApp and we want you to join us!
Through the app, we'll send you the sassiest showbiz stories, some naught headline and a seismic smattering of aliens…along with the latest breaking news of course.
To join our community, all you have to do to join is click on this link, select 'Join Chat' and you're in!
No one will be able to see who has sign up and no one can send messages except for the Daily Star team. We also treat our community members to competitions, special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners.
If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. To leave our community click on the name at the top of your screen and choose Exit group. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
CLICK HERE TO JOIN
Bomb disposal experts rushed to the scene following the find. However, they found there was little possibility of an explosion from the unfortunately-located shell. "They reassured us by telling us that it was a collector’s item from the First World War, used by the French military," hospital staff added.
But the saga was not over. There was no way to safely remove the object "the way it went in" so surgeons were forced to cut open the man's abdomen to retrieve the explosive. A statement from the hospital confirmed the 88-year-old patient was in "good health" after the weapon – a projectile measuring "five or six centimetres in diameter by 20 long" – was finally removed.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.