Home » Madeleine McCann suspect ‘destroyed evidence’ leaving police with ‘nothing’
Madeleine McCann suspect ‘destroyed evidence’ leaving police with ‘nothing’
May 12, 2021
The prime suspect in the Madeleine McCann investigation likely “destroyed” any evidence and left police with "nothing", a former officer has claimed.
Detectives have long been investigating Christian Brueckner, and have already carried out a string of searches at his former properties.
Officers have employed a number of tactics, at one point reportedly hiring a prison inmate to extract a confession from the German paedophile.
However, Brueckner has not yet been charged with Madeleine’s murder.
Ex-chief inspector Mick Neville, who founded the Met Police’s Central Forensic Image Team in 2012, believes investigators are unlikely to unearth any crucial evidence.
He told the Daily Star: “The only lines of enquiry for this are to search all his electronic devices and to see if he took any photographs or [made] any records from that time.
“He’s probably destroyed them. Or, he makes a confession.
“There is nothing else, what else are they ever going to get? Any witnesses of note should have come forward years ago.”
Israel and Palestine heading for 'full-scale war' as 10 children killed in air strike
A summit between German, British and Portuguese detectives is due to place in Lisbon, Portugal, this summer.
Cops are reportedly starting a push to unearth what they have referred to as the “missing piece of the jigsaw”.
Portuguese and German investigators will also carry out new interviews of key witnesses in the Algarve who knew him.
Kate Middleton seen as 'safe pair of hands' and is 'keeping Royal family together'
However, Mr Neville is sceptical of a breakthrough being made.
He added: “There’s crumbs at the table, there's nothing.
“The last year, there have been promises there’s concrete evidence but until somebody delivers what we British consider as concrete evidence then I don’t see how you can move forward.”
Madeleine would have celebrated her 18th birthday today, May 12.
Last month, parents Kate and Gerry McCann said they still think they will be reunited with her – because they “believe in miracles”.
The heartbroken parents said: “Never stop believing in hope because miracles happen everyday.”
On the Official Find Madeleine Campaign Facebook page – run for them by a friend – they thanked well-wishers for continuing to look for the girl, who vanished on holiday in Portugal in 2007, aged three.
Get latest news headlines delivered free
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
They said: “We want to send a heartfelt thank you to all who continue to be by our side.
“We still believe in miracles.”
Though German police insist they have evidence Madeleine is dead, the couple believe she could still be alive.
The Metropolitan Police are still treating it as a missing person investigation.