Home » World News » Hotel horror as one guest dies and 10 injured escaping fire at celeb hotspot
Hotel horror as one guest dies and 10 injured escaping fire at celeb hotspot
August 21, 2020
The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
A trendy hotel in Spain popular with British revellers including celebs and sports stars has gone up in flames killing one guest.
At least ten people are reported to have been injured in the massive blaze at the Sisu Boutique Hotel near the upmarket resort of Puerto Banus, where around 100 guests are believed to have been staying.
The fire broke out in the early hours of this morning/yesterday morning (FRI). The flames and a black plume of smoke rising from the hotel could be seen for miles around.
All guests and staff were evacuated from the building as well as an apartment block next to the hotel because of the scale and seriousness of the blaze.
The cause of the fire is not yet clear and remains under investigation.
In March 2017 an arsonist threw a hand grenade into the hotel after setting fire to the venue.
CCTV cameras showed a man calmly taking the safety clip off the grenade and tossing it into the air in a gangland-style attack before fleeing the scene ahead of the resulting explosion.
Moments earlier he was seen walking around the area near the pool – his face covered with a bandana and hidden under a baseball cap with a torch in his right hand – dousing the bar and sofas with accelerant before setting light to the hotel and coming close to severely injuring himself in the process.
British businessman Neil Acland, the hotel owner, labelled the attack at the time a failed attempt to make sure he could not open for the summer season.
He told a Spanish newspaper: "It was done so we couldn’t open in May.
"The insurance people won’t cover the damage until the police finish their investigation.
"If we hadn’t had money to repair the damage, we couldn’t have opened and everything would have been over."
His partner Ale Valdivia, general manager at the hotel, added at the time of the attack which is said to have happened when there was an ongoing rental dispute and hotel bosses had been criticised by some neighbours over noisy parties: "We were closed at the time and in bed.
"We heard an explosion and went downstairs. Everything was destroyed."
No arrests took place at the time and it was not immediately clear this morning if police had ended up apprehending the suspect.
Over the years the hotel has been a favourite with top footballers and celebs.
Coronation Street favourite Michelle Keegan and husband Mark Wright have been pictured relaxing at the glamorous venue.
It offers guests luxury presidential, jacuzzi or junior suites as well as double rooms and two or three twin bed serviced apartments.
Brits have traditionally flocked to the hotel, which is adults-only, for its glamorous pool parties.