Gunmen storm wake and slaughter at least nine mourners in brutal massacre

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

At least nine people have been killed in an armed attack at a wake in Mexico.

The massacre unfolded after gunmen arrived in two vans outside a private home in the San Rafael area of Celaya in Guanajuato State.

Heavily armed gunmen broke into the wake and attacked the mourners at around 9pm on Thursday January 7, killing at least nine people, local authorities said.

Another person was injured in the attack and was taken to hospital.

But there were reports the death toll could be as high as 13.

Photos shared online showed bloodstained bodies strewn across the ground next to a casket, with the street taped off by police.

Gunfire could also be heard in footage posted on social media.

According to local reports, the attackers fired more than 60 shots.

Police and security forces have launched a hunt to find the gunmen.

In a statement, the local authorities said: “The Secretariat for Citizen Security condemns any action that violates social peace and regrets the death of civilians.”

The massacre is the latest to hit Guanajuato State, which is in the middle of a turf war between rival cartels, according to the New York Times.

  • Fears of cartel Christmas massacre as gangs wait for rivals to 'let their guard down'

The violence in the area is said to stem from a conflict between the Santa Rosa de Lima cartel and Jalisco New Generation cartel (CJNG), which is larger and more powerful.

The Santa Rosa de Lima Cartel's leader José Antonio Yépez El Marro was arrested last year, but it has not stopped the bloodshed.

Figures show it has one of the highest murder rates in the country, with at least nine murders a day last year.

On Tuesday night, January 5, five people were killed in the municipality of León in Guanajuato.

Gunmen arrived at an apartment and murdered four people, with a fifth victim dying in hospital, Infobae reported.

Last July, 26 victims were killed after armed men entered a drug rehabilitation facility in Irapuato.

Speaking after the mass killings, the country’s president Andrés Manuel López Obrador said: “The situation Guanajuato is facing is very serious.

“There is fighting between gangs, and in the majority of cases it’s aggression between them.”

  • Crime

Source: Read Full Article