Home » Politics » New Tory humiliation as they abandon selection for safe seat Boris targeted
New Tory humiliation as they abandon selection for safe seat Boris targeted
June 29, 2023
The Conservatives are facing a fresh humuiliation after they were forced to abandon the selection process for a much sort after safe seat which Boris Johnson was said to be targeting.
The Henley seat, which had become vacant because MP John Howell is stepping down, had been targeted by a number of high profuile hopefuls.
It is understood that the constituency chairman Lord Hall’s son Will was selected but a number of complaints were made by people who failed to get on to the shortlist.
Conservative sources have said that one complaint came from former Olympic rower James Cracknell.
A CCHQ source said that the process was being rerun because of a “breach of confidentiality.”
A message went round to prospective candidates from director of candidates Matt Lane and chief of staff to the chairman of candidates committee Gareth Fox saying: “I write to inform you that due to breaches of the parliamentary candidate selection process the party bopard have this afternoon decided to abandon the current selection process of the Heleny constituency.
“This vacancy will be readvertised in due course.”
More to follow…
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info